Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Snail Mail Letter

When it comes to mail, Mexico really does Snail Mail, it took 13 days for Emma's letter to get to us.  She has warned us to not write letters to her in Mexico as they may not get there in time.  We can begin to send things to Spokane and she will get them when she gets there! Emma sent the following:

So, it was my second day of teaching our investigator, (who is actually another teacher at the MTC, but we did not know that). I was sharing my testimony that I know that this church makes you better.  But, when talking to my investigator, I said one small word wrong and ended up telling him that, "The gospel of Jesus Christ makes you a girl." Bah! What a great thing for a Sister Missionary to tell a guy! Best news, that 'investigator' will be my evening teacher next week!!  Can I say awkward?! Actually, I am glad I messed up like that.  It is so funny, it makes me laugh all the time.

You were wondering if I have hot water and a washer and a dryer.  I was wondering that the first day.  I took a shower my first morning and it was ICE COLD!  No warmth at all.  A few days later, one of the Hermanas discovered the hot water for the shower!  We have yet to figure it out for the wash basin though.  Oh, and our room is the only room in the house with hot water working in the shower!!  LUCKY US!  As for the washer and dryer, we are the first missionaries to use this house, so we have a dryer and a washer, but they were not hooked up! Some of the girls in our casa had P. day yesterday and they got it all hooked up! So lucky us, dodging another bullet again.

Our house is full of bugs! Crickets, mosquitoes, and cockroaches.  One of my closest friends here, Hermana LuBanc, is a crazy pro at killing the bugs.  The bugs do not bother me much.  The birds here are awesome! They are so happy and I hear chirping all the day long. 

I must tell you about my fellow Hermanas! Hermana Taylor (my companion), Hermana Blankenship and Hermana LuBanc are so funny! I really enjoy spending so much time with these wonderful girls.  They really live a quote I read by one of the apostles, "This isn't missionary work, this is missionary fun!"  I am really having such a grand time.  The guys in my district are super great also.  We are all friends and we do everything together even when we don't have to.  They have shared why they decided to go on a mission.  It was powerful. 

Guess what happened! It was 9 days before we would have a P-day and be allowed to use the computers.  I was getting pretty impatient to get a message or note.  Waiting until Thursday was the longest any group had to wait. (I had flown out on Tuesday and we did not get a P-day until the next week.)  But on Wednesday morning, I went to put on my skirt with the pockets and I found a surprise! Charlotte, Mariah, and Laura had somehow put notes in the pockets!  And I opened them the morning I was needing them the most.  It helped get me through my communication drought.

I am growing a lot here! And, I dried my clothes on the clothes line.  My friend thought it was weird, but sun dried clothes smell great!!   Love you, Hermana Phipps

No comments:

Post a Comment