Sunday, August 3, 2014

SIX MONTH & ONE YEAR EXPRESSIONS!!

[From Emma's Mom: When Emma had been out six months, she wrote a letter home on Lisa's Birthday (February 18, 2014) and shared 5 THINGS THAT KEEP EMMA GOING ON HER MISSION! Since she just passed the YEAR MARK, I thought it would be good to share her letter here.]

My Dearest Family,

"Try a little harder each day to be a little better!" ~ President Hinckley

   This small quote is keeping me going. Sometimes the fact of how hard missions are catches up with me! It is easy to feel overwhelmed and under-qualified. But above almost everything I have learned on my mission, I have learned that you cannot give in to discouragement. It can tear at the strongest foundations. That is why I want to share with you today, 5 THINGS THAT KEEP ME GOING HERE ON MY MISSION.
   1 -- THE SCRIPTURES -- Especially since I am reading 16+ pages a day. I am seeing just how much SCRIPTURES are my life line. They always help me focus and feel that everything will be alright. They give me assurance. Not only written Scriptures, but the Words of the Prophets and Revelation are Modern Day Scriptures that I can't live without. I try to make sure they are a daily part of every missionary moment.
   2 -- MY DEAR FAMILY -- Every letter I receive and every e-mail I print off are Sources of LIGHT for me! I love every word you so lovingly send! Not only that, but countless are the times the SPIRIT reminds me of family memories that I feel impressed to share with our investigators. Last week we taught Karelis and her family. Grace and Shanteen, (her daughters who are 8 and 4) love our lessons too! When planning the lesson we felt like we should focus on getting the kids excited about church. Sister Quinn and I were thinking of how we could teach reverence in a way the girls would understand and be excited about. I quickly remembered our visits to Aunt Elsie's home. Mom always would remind me of the game I should play at Aunt Elsie's house. It was the Princess Game! I remember really wanting to act exactly like a princess as soon as I crossed through the second entrance door into her home. I wanted to impress the Queen Aunt Elsie! (Not sure if I was ever perfect though.)  So we told that experience to the family of Karelis and they loved it. In the middle of the story the girls ran into their bedroom and changed into their Princess Dresses, found Crowns, and started "practicing" for church! ~I LOVE MY FAMILY!!
   3 -- MIRACLES! -- As you know, I am always seeing MIRACLES and the Lord's Hand! It makes me remember that this isn't my work, or what I do at all. IT IS TRULY THE LORD'S WORK!! 
   4 -- SERVICE! -- Every time I feel even the slightest of being not in the best mood... a SERVICE opportunity comes my way and changes my perspective for the better. Service should always be sought for!!
   5 -- THE LORD... Last but not least,... The LORD! If I could ever explain the strength He gives me, I would share it every moment to every one I meet! 2 Nephi 22:2 couldn't be more true!! Remembering all the Tender Mercies of a Mission really makes me feel in debt to the Lord for ALL the help He sends to me to bare me up! 
2nd Nephi 2:22 "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation."  (See also Isaiah Chapter 12) 

   I LOVE YOU! Thank you for your ceaseless support, love and prayers!! Your daughter, 
Hermana Phipps    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment